Hi, I’m Dr. Akkara. I was born in Atlanta but spent my formative years in Connecticut. I experienced my first exposure to dentistry at the University of Connecticut. I volunteered at the dental school and quickly realized that I desired to pursue a degree in dentistry. After graduation with a degree in neuroscience, I was accepted into the 2nd oldest dental school in the country, Temple University School of Dentistry. Temple has been producing successful dentists since 1863. At Temple, I focused my efforts in developing what I call “comfort dentistry.” After dental school, I went on to do a one-year residency training program at Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx, NY. During this year, I further developed my “comfort dentistry,” and my office and skill set are geared towards this.
My wife Annie and I met in 2004 while I was in dental school. We spent our early years together in Manhattan, NY, and we’ve been happily married since 2006. Annie is originally from Florida, and we were excited to return and start our family here. Our pride and joy is our son Aidan and daughter Ava. If I’m not in the office, you’ll likely find us at Disney or spending time with family and friends.
Our office is very different from your typical dental office, and we have unique techniques to alleviate your fears. Like I always say, p*in is a four-letter word that we don’t like to say in this office. I have a passion for dentistry that makes me committed to providing exceptional dental care together with compassion and patience, and I hope to share this with you if you chose to join our office family.
Fun Facts about your Dentist!
1. I was born in Georgia.
2. I went to High School and College in Connecticut.
3. I went to Dental School In Philadelphia
4. I met my wife in Manhattan.
5. I’ve lived in DC, Philadelphia, New York, but not Boston
6. I’ve traveled to 4 out of the 7 continents. Remaining are Africa, Australia, and Antarctica
7. I brush my teeth 4 times a day.
8. I probably will have floss in my pocket, before having a pen.
9. My favorite app on my phone is Buzzfeed.
10. My favorite thing about the morning is drinking coffee.
11. My favorite team is the UConn Huskies.
12. UConn also happens to be my alma mater.
13. My favorite place I’ve lived is Orlando.
14. I hate umbrellas!
15. My favorite color is green.
16. My favorite food is pizza.
17. My favorite book is The Godfather by Mario Puzo.
18. My favorite movie is Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back
19. If I could be a super hero I would be Spider-Man.
20. Apple over PC
21. iPhone over Android
22. My favorite candy is KitKat
23. In my spare time I do obstacle races with the Spartan races being my favorite.
24. I’m a sports fan
25. I have a natural obsession with teeth!